Adding custom pages to your site is a great way to provide more information to your audience about your brand, your products or even your story as a creator.
These pages are great for anything from Contact Us, About Us or even Our Philosophy pages. You can link to these pages directly from your site or from other external sources.
Want even more guidance on custom pages? Watch this featured workshop on creating several different page types for your business!
Table of Contents
- Add a new custom page to your Podia site
- Edit custom page details and metadata
- Add sections and content to your custom pages
- Linking to your custom page
- Deleting your custom page
Add a new custom page to your Podia site
To add a new custom page to your Podia site:
- Navigate to the Podia editor from the Edit Site link in your Podia app dropdown menu.
- Click on the + Add page button in the top left hand corner of the page
That's it! 🙌 You are already on your way to creating beautiful custom pages.
Watch the video above to see how you can create a custom "About Me" page to tell viewers all about your work, sign up for email updates, or book a call! If you want to see the "template" page for specific layouts, click here!
To access all your pages, click on the dropdown page selector, which is right below the + Add page button. In the dropdown, you should find all your pages ordered alphabetically under the Pages sub-heading .
Edit custom page details and metadata
Once you have created a custom page, you can edit page details and metadata by accessing the Page Details section. All the page details are auto-saved but will not be published until you choose to by clicking on the Publish button at the bottom corner in the editor sidebar.
Use the name field to edit the page name. You will view this name in the page selector dropdown. This name will also be used as the page title by search engines.
When creating a new page, you will see a unique alpha-numeric URL being used. Click on Edit URL to add your own unique and custom URL for the page. Make sure this URL is unique and not being used by other products, memberships or other pages on your site. The page URL can only contain letters, numbers, underscores, and dashes.
📝 If you edit your page URL after linking to it, make sure you update the page URL. Although, the old page URLs will redirect to your new updated page, the redirects will break when another page, product or membership acquires the old page URL.
You can use the meta description optional field in the editor to add a short page description that will be used by search engines when listing your pages.
📝 Search engines, like Google, allow up to 158 characters and truncate the description if it exceeds that maximum character count. These also vary by search engine and device type. Podia will allow up to 320 characters in the editor. However, be mindful of using long descriptions as these may get truncated depending on search engines and social networks.
Social media image
You can optionally add a social media image to the page so social networks can use these when listing your page.
Importance of page name and meta description
Writing a well thought out page name and meta description is important to engage your potential audience navigating to your pages from search engines like Google. A good page title and description will give your audience more information as to what is on the page and thus, they will be more likely to visit and engage with your Podia homepage.
Add sections and content to your custom pages
Adding content to your pages is as simple as editing any other Podia product or membership page using the editor. To add a page section:
- Click on + Add Section below Page Details.
- Select either a general or global section
- Fill in all the relevant fields and upload any relevant images to the section
Once you are satisfied with the look and feel of the page, click on Publish at the bottom of the sidebar editor. You can now click on View Page to view the custom page you just designed. 👩🎨
Linking to your custom page
After you have added page details, relevant page sections and published your custom page with content, you can start linking to this page from your homepage or from external sources.
Copying the page URL
You can retrieve the page URL from the Page Details section right above the meta description section. However, to ensure you have the right URL protocol (http:// vs. https://), it is to copy the URL from your browser address bar, after clicking on View Page in the editor.
Add the page URL to your site header or page section
Once you have retrieved your custom page URL, you can freely add this to your site header, any page section button, link from a text content block in any of your page section.
To add the link on your site header:
- Click on the Header section on any of the pages
- Click on + New Link under Menu
- Add Text and the copied URL
To add the link on your site page section:
- Create or go to a section that has a button component (eg. Text or Image with text component)
- Add the text and the copied URL in the Button text and Button url fields, respectively.
To add the link on your page section content block:
- Navigate to the section you would like to add the link for.
- Navigate to the text block in the section
- Highlight the text you would like to link from
- Click on the link icon 🔗 in the navigation
- Paste your copied URL and click on Link
Deleting your custom page
To delete your custom page:
- Navigate to the Page Details section of your page
- Scroll to the bottom of the section
- Click on Delete Page
- Confirm the delete dialog box by clicking on OK
- Once deleted, make sure to remove any references to this link both in your site and from external sources, if any.
📝 Deleting a page is permanent and cannot be restored. So make sure to verify that you are deleting the correct page before proceeding.
If you have any questions at all, send us an email at [email protected] or click the blue icon below to chat. 😃